Skip to content Sitemap

Tenant FAQ

Is it possible to apply for a property “sight unseen”?

It’s possible to apply for a property sight unseen, but no property can be rented without viewing it first. If you apply for a property without seeing it, you will be required to view the property before we are able to rent that property to you.

You can ask a friend or family member to view the property on your behalf. If you do choose to have someone else visit the property on your behalf, all parties will have to sign a sight unseen addendum.

While in most cases, photos are current and updated, these photos serve merely to represent the size and space of the interior of the property. We highly recommended that the property should be viewed in person to ensure that the size and space are as per their requirements.


How much do I have to pay as the security deposit?

The security deposit is equal to one month’s rent when executing a year-long lease and must be paid in full at lease signing. Security Deposit and First Month’s Rent must be in certified funds.


When will I have to pay my rent?

Rent will always be due on the first day of the month, with a 5-day grace period.

If the rent payment is not received in full by end of the day on the 5th, you will be charged a 5% late fee.


What are the different payment options I can use to pay rent?

You can:

  • Mail a money order or check to our office with your complete address and unit number on the memo.
  • Pay online by signing into your resident account. Online payments are free of charge if you set up “E-Check”, which will require your banking routing number and account number. Payments can be made with a credit or debit card but are subject to a processing fee. The option to set up automatic reoccurring payments or manual payments will be a choice once you log-on to your account.
  • Pay in person at our office, the receptionist at the front desk will write you a receipt. However, we do not accept cash payments due to security reasons.


What happens if I am unable to pay my rent?

If you know that you will not be able to make your rent payment, please call our office and notify your Property Manager immediately. Communication can avoid escalation of an eviction process. We will need to set up a payment course of action plan before we will consider working with the delinquency.


What are some examples of situations that can be considered an emergency?

Minor maintenance issues do not constitute as an emergency; however, these issues should be reported on our online portal. As per the terms of your lease agreement, an emergency is defined as a situation where the condition of the property is affected to an extent that it endangers the physical health or safety of the tenant(s). We ask that tenants employ rational and deceive reasoning in determining if an issue is urgent

Some examples of maintenance emergencies are as follows:

  • If water is coming into the home because the main sewer line is clogged or a water pipe has broken or is leaking. For plumbing issues, please immediately turn off the water.
  • The failure of the heating system in weather conditions colder than 32 degrees. (Generally speaking, repairs required for heating and air conditioning do not constitute an emergency but will be reviewed keeping the weather in mind).

We will always do our best to service the issue as quickly as possible.


Is there an emergency phone line that I can call?


You can call Dawson Property Management at (704) 438-9834 with extension 3 to report any emergencies.

For the emergency line to stay efficient, we ask for tenants not to call the emergency number for non-emergency requests. Please submit non-emergency requests to the Online Tenant Portal.


What is the process of requesting any repairs or maintenance?

If it is a non-emergency repair, you can send your request in writing via the Online Tenant Portal. We need to document the request in writing to prevent any miscommunication mishap. We try to assign work orders to our independent vendors as quickly as possible. We will be attentive to any and all service requests.


What steps should I take if the smoke detector starts beeping?

If the smoke detector starts to beep, it might be possible that the battery needs to be changed. You can purchase one at your local hardware store or the local market. Replacement batteries is a tenant responsibility and for your safety you should always keep smoke detectors up and active.

In case you are unable to reach the smoke detector due to vaulted ceilings, you must complete a maintenance request form, which can be found on the Online Tenant portal. Keep in mind that it is illegal to disconnect your smoke detector.


What happens if I get locked out of my apartment?

If the lockout happens during regular business hours, the property manager should be notified and will possibly meet you at the property or a key can be picked up at the office. If the lockout happens after hours, you will have to arrange and pay a locksmith on your own. If the locks are changed you will be required to provide management with a copy. If you have misplaced your key, a duplicate key can be provided for a fee.

We try our best to help you avoid getting yourself locked out but unfortunately, lockouts are not considered an emergency.


Will the tenant be charged for any maintenance at the property?

Tenants will be charged only if the maintenance issue arises due to a tenant or his/her negligence in looking after the property. Charges for a service call will also accrue if a tenant misses an appointment with the maintenance contractors.


What will happen if for some reason the tenant is unable to pay rent?

It is our sincere hope our tenants do not befall a grave situation like that. In the event of this happening, we are bound to follow the terms of the lease agreement.

This includes serving a late notice, late fee and/or eviction. Exceptions cannot be made and should not be requested but honesty in your communication is highly valued. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.


Are tenants required to obtain renters insurance?

Yes, Dawson Property Management requires tenants to obtain renter’s insurance with a minimum of $100,000 in liability coverage.

In addition, we clarify in the terms of the lease agreement that any loss or damage to a tenant’s contents during the period of tenancy will not be covered by the owner’s insurance.

Tenants must provide proof of renter’s insurance before keys are exchanged.


Who is responsible for taking care of lawns?

The lease will dictate whose responsibility it is to maintain the lawn and exterior maintenance. Most single-family homes require the tenant to look after the lawn, water it regularly, mow and weed the lawn. Trimming bushes every six months and cleaning the gutters are also requirements. We expect for the landscaping to appear as you received it and for it to be maintained throughout and until the end of your tenancy.

If the tenant causes the grass to die, additional cost incurred to re-sod the yard will be charged to the tenant. It is the tenant’s responsibility to clean up leaves in the fall and remove snow from sidewalks and driveways in winter. If assistance is needed to meet these obligations, we can refer a landscaper to you.


What is your policy on smoking indoors or on the rental property?

We have a zero-tolerance policy for smoking and drugs in the interior of any property. Tenants will be fully liable for smoke damage, including but not limited to the removal of smoke aroma.  If you are a smoker, cigarette butts that are not properly disposed of is considered a violation.


Can tenants sublease their apartment?

No. Tenants cannot sublease the apartment. We do not permit subleasing. If you need to break the lease, please contact your Property Manager about the policies and procedures.


Can tenants have a roommate at a later time?

Any new person that you decide to bring on to occupy the property will have to go through the same screening process that all tenants go through.

Your roommate will have to fill in the rental application, pay the associated application fee, and a background check will be performed. The management needs to know all occupants of the property. Failure to follow the due process can lead to fines and termination of your lease agreement.


What if one of the roommates moves out of the property before the term of the lease agreement ends?

Please remember that tenants are jointly and singularly responsible for paying rent. In the event of a roommate moving out before the end of the lease agreement, the property manager needs to be notified through a written notice. Tenants must obtain a written permission letter from the property manager to substitute a roommate.


What is your policy on acquiring pets after moving into the property or adding more pets?

All tenants must talk to the property manager about any plans to acquire a new pet or add to existing pets. Depending on the number and types of pets, this request may or may not be approved. Undocumented pets will lead to penalties and could result in lease termination.


What if the tenant wants to paint all or part of the rental space a different color?

All color change requests must be submitted to the office in writing and will be approved at the discretion of the owner.All requests to change paint must include the brand, and paint color. If approved, you must leave the left-over paint at the property or you may be asked to paint the property back to the original color. All expenses associated with changing paint is a tenant responsibility.  Failure to follow the procedures set in place could result in penalties.


What is your policy on changing or adding locks?

Changing locks or re-keying without approval constitutes a serious violation of your lease agreement. So, you cannot make any changes to the locks.

If the tenant desires to change, re-key, install or replace any security devices, he/she must send such a request to the office in writing. Management must have copies or knowledge of any change to the property. Following approval, the tenants must pay for all expenses associated in advance. Any changes can only be made through approved contractors authorized by the management.


Can I get a satellite dish?

Each property has different requirements. Please contact your Property Manager who can assist in answering your questions.


How do I give my notice to vacate and how many months’ notice is required?

You are required to give a 30-day notice that you will vacate 30 days prior to the end date of your lease.

Your notice needs to be written and received by our office prior to the last day of the month. The 30-day period will begin the following month with all leases ending at the end of the month.